Joint Medical and Electrical Engineering Track at Caltech
It is with excitement that the Andrew and Peggy Cherng Department of Medical Engineering and the Department of Electrical Engineering at Caltech announce the establishment of a joint track in both departments as of Fall 2022. The track is named Medical and Electrical Engineering. Specifically, the degree requirements include (1) taking 21 units of required Medical Engineering courses, in addition to the 135 units of courses required for Electrical Engineering Ph.D. students,* (2) passing the qualifying and candidacy exams of the home department, and (3) completing a dissertation related to both options. The dissertation committee must be composed of 2 members from each option. The single degree to be shown on the diploma is “Ph.D. in Medical and Electrical Engineering”. This track is available to both existing students to graduate after Fall 2022 and new students to be admitted.
*More information on units.
Units: A total of 156 units are required. The requirement of EE 135 plus the MedE 21 units has to be met. However, cross-listed MedE/EE courses can be double counted.
Complete at least 27 units of MedE 291 individual research.
EE only: Complete 18 units of research in his or her field of interest.
Joint MedE-EE: Only 18 units of research count toward the joint track requirement.
Math: The EE math requirement is 27 units, which is the same for MedE, but MedE has the exception of taking ACM 100ab for 24 units for fulfillment. The EE requirement of 27 units must be met. However, many math-related courses can count towards the requirement. Please confirm with the advisor and option rep.
21 Units of Required MedE Courses
- Complete the three-term seminar sequence, MedE 100abc (1 unit), with a passing grade.
- Complete MedE 101 (9 units) with a passing grade. Introduction to Clinical Physiology and Pathophysiology for Engineers.
- Complete a 9-unit MedE course. Biomechanics/fluidics: MedE/BE/Ae 243 (9 units), ChE/BE/MedE 112 (9 units) or ChE103b (9 units). Medical Imaging: MedE/EE 268 (9 units). Biomedical Optics: MedE/EE 168abc (9 units each). Design and Construction of Biodevices: BE/EE/MedE 189ab (12 and 9 units).
EE Ph.D. Option course requirements
- 18 units of research
- 54 units of letter-graded EE courses numbered 100 or above towards the 135 unit requirement
- 27 units of mathematics courses, with letter grade no lower than C
- 135 units total, including those courses above with no more than 30 units of P/F